Published on January 21, 2014
Mr.Mean Sriwilairit 53270336
Techniques of addictive video games Mr.Mean Sriwilairit 53270336
Introduction • Games are fun • People need some fun • People are addicted to it
• Quit playing games looks easy • But for players, it’s NOT
• Behind hours of fun playing, there are financial, reputation, advertisement of the games’ firms • They try to develop games • And lure more customers • Anyhow..
Introduction • Games are fun • People need some fun • People are addict to it • Some games are really fun • But some are actually NOT..
Introduction • Some games are really fun • But some are actually not.. • But people still play them • They are addicted • Let’s see how they’re addicted
Content Preview Real game component that make the game fun Additional component to set the player in their products Games are NOT games
dve ger a n f ha clif se n ca io ties y ci w os it s ne i cur tion e unc lock entur f y un de adv nger tr iso cliffha ep d s ase rl wo tion c it ua s ties y ci w t iosi s ne cur tion unc loc k ent ur e f y un d e a dv nger tr iso cliffha ep ds ase rl wo tion c itua s Story & Exploration ties y ci w osit s ne i cur tion unc lock enture f y un de adv nger tr iso cliffha ep ds ase rl wo tion c ities a ty c w situ si ur io c fun try e
• Players like to know what will happen next
• Players follow the story and play in order to know it
• Players like to know what are there in different parts
• Players wonder of secrets and want to unveil them
• Players like to try new modes in the game
• And also everything the game has offered
f ec t rd er ewa st r in dw go res sco bal igh glo ition H ord m pet rec co tion e rfec ard tim k pe w rea est re n b st b od wi fa eg fam s ore l h s c loba Hig rd g tion i o pet ion rec com ct ime k perfe ard t w rea est re n b st b od wi fa eg fam Challenge & ig h H Achievement rec res l sco ba igh glo ition H or d m pe t rec co tion e fec rd tim k per wa rea est re n b st b od wi fa eg res l m fa sco a tim b
• Best old trick: Aim for highest score
• More trick: Aim for highest score locally or globally
• People cannot resist to have a challenge [explicit / implicit]
• Games provide achievement system to make players interest to complete them
• People repeat doing them to achieve their satisfaction
• People repeat doing them for self-betterment
er ie xp top us e stat ege est l qu xp eve cter L ask t ara e list nce ch ad eri e gr up d exp orl ve top us w pro e stat im leg rivi p es t l qu xp eve cter L ask t ara e list nce c h ad er ie gr up d exp orl ve top us w ro tat imp lege s rivi p Rank & Mission es t l qu xp eve cter L ask t ara e list nce c h ad er ie gr up d exp orl ve top us w ro tat imp lege s es t ivi pr l qu p eve L c ha up w
• Leveling technique is a basic gamer magnet
• People start to hit monsters, pressing buttons until level up or ranking up
• Games provide reward after players accomplish levels or tasks
• Players increase their levels to have stronger characters
• Players like to add improving characters to their real life task
• Missions, Sub-missions, Side missions, objectives, quests are keeping us worried about
There always something else that needs to be done… So, there’s always a reason to just keep playing
Are some games intentionally designed to keep you compulsively playing even when you are not enjoying it?
ely ther m ga ible ess obs d im i t nl otio kly m pro wee item aily e free d dat m e ly her up r ti le gat offe ctib ess e s coll rd ob ewa r im it l on oti kly rom wee p item aily e free d r dat m ely up the r ti le ga offe ctib ess e s coll rd ob ewa r Limited & rom p ail d up o virtualgoods im it l on oti kly rom wee p item aily e free d r dat ely up m gathe r t i le offe ctib ess e s coll rd ob m it n li wa re otio
• Limited in everything
• Events in the game for a limited time
• People treat in-game collectibles as their valuable • Digital reward
• People press buttons repetitively to collect their coins
• Updating of games need subscription
• Some techniques are related to financial advantage • Arouse players to pay
Additional: • Effort and rewarding connection of games is clearer than in real life • Game is for mental escape • Game delivers more sense of accomplishment
“The worst thing a kid can say about homework is that it is too hard. The worst thing a kid can say about a game is it's too easy.” Henry Jenkins
Summary • Games are okay • Depends on views whether it is danger or impact • Know their technique, then hook it up
References http://www.gamesradar.com/top-7-tricks-that-makevideo-games-highly-addictive By Matt Cundy @gamesradar.com http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-waysvideo-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html By David Wong @cracked.com
Game Developer at Addictive Games Past Data and IT Officer at Safe Water Program at Innovations for Poverty Action, Software Developer at Quantum Consultants
1. The Techniques to Avoiding Addictive Judi Narcotic medicines arenâ t the just things that are addictive in this planet. Judi is definitely furthermore ...
Most Addictive Games of 2015; System is processing data Please download to view Download 1
Rapid Elimination of Addictive Craving with ETT. Changing Paradigms in Psychotherapy. Talk Therapy Paradigm Psychiatric Medication Paradigm The Biophysics ...
Download 565 guestlecture 20131028. Transcript. 1. Guest Lecture for IS565, ...
Advertising Programmes Business Solutions +Google About Google Google.com © 2016 - Privacy - Terms. Search; Images; Maps; Play; YouTube; News; Gmail ...
NEWS BRIEFS: AAUW Port Townsend seeks nominations for 2017 Woman of Excellence Award … and other items. News events across the North Olympic Peninsula.