Published on December 16, 2013
14 QUESTIONS MARKETERS SHOULD ASK IN 2014 DECEMBER 16, 2013 Monday, December 16, 13
AT A TIME OF INCREASING COMPLEXITY “Turbulence is the new normal for CMO’s” - Accenture 2 Monday, December 16, 13
WHEN IT’S HARD TO KNOW WHAT’S RIGHT “No one knows what’s right, what’s wrong, what’s up, what’s down.” - Victor Lee- VP Digital, Hasbro 3 Monday, December 16, 13
WHEN PEOPLE ARE ASKING- “WHAT’S NEXT?” “Marketers don’t get excited anymore about the mere fact that Google or Facebook or behavioral targeting exists, nor do they wring their hands over how digital has enabled consumers to tune them out. A real question—and a big one—is where do marketers go from here?” - Catherine Taylor- Strategy and Business 4 Monday, December 16, 13
WHEN NEW OPPORTUNITIES ARE ABUNDANT “So, this is where the next wave of business innovation will come from: a fully immersive, two-way interaction between the consumer and business. Think about this for a second: Anyone can create something that everyone can see. It sounds simple, but it’s actually a profound change in the way people communicate. And it’s something that plays to the strengths of the media and marketing industries.” - Nikesh Arora- Google 5 Monday, December 16, 13
WHEN LEADERS EMBRACE THE FUTURE “Describing the company's strategy as "digital back", Pritchard explained how the best agencies now started campaigns in the digital world and then built back into the rest of the marketing mix." - Mark Pritchard- P&G- As quoted in WARC 6 Monday, December 16, 13
A CHECKLIST COULD BE USEFUL THINK OF THIS AS A CHECKLIST OF QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF AND YOUR TEAM AS YOU HEAD INTO 2014 7 Monday, December 16, 13
BEHIND THE CHECKLIST A RECOGNITION THAT MARKETING DISCIPLINE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN EVER, BUT IT NEEDS TO BE FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO BE OPEN TO CONTEMPORARY REALITIES 8 Monday, December 16, 13
BEHIND THE CHECKLIST SOMETIMES THE SIMPLEST QUESTIONS ARE OFTEN THE HARDEST TO ANSWER 9 Monday, December 16, 13
14 QUESTIONS FOR 2014 Monday, December 16, 13
1. HOW ARE YOU GROWING YOUR BUSINESS? • Are you cutting your way to profitability? • Are you selling more to the same people? • Are you finding new people for your brand? 11 Monday, December 16, 13
2. WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO? • What do you know about who you are selling to? • Are you selling to everyone, or a generic demographic? • Do you have a deep richness of customer understanding? • Do you know how these use it and where and how your brand fits into their lives? 12 Monday, December 16, 13
3. WHO ARE YOU COMPETING AGAINST? • Are you challenging an established leader? • Are you looking at the right competitors? • Are your real competitors in another category? • Could your competitor be a consumer behavior? • Is it the two guys in a coffee house? 13 Monday, December 16, 13
4. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF YOUR BRAND? • Why does your brand exist? • What is your brand’s higher calling? • Does your brand have a meaningful societal idea at its core? • Is your purpose widely understood? 14 Monday, December 16, 13
5. HOW DOES YOUR BRAND’S PURPOSE FIT INTO CULTURE? • What do you see in culture that’s relevant to your brand? • What’s your perspective on that? • Do you want to lead culture, or follow it? 15 Monday, December 16, 13
6. HOW MUCH RISK CAN YOU TOLERATE? • Are you prepared to take risks? • Have you defined the parameters around risk? • Do your team and organization understand that? • Are you prepared for failure? 16 Monday, December 16, 13
7. DO YOU HAVE A MASTER PLAN? • Do you have a clearly articulated blueprint to guide you? • Does it tell you what the brand is going to be doing? • Does it have flexibility to cope with unknown opportunities? • Does it explain how all the communication pieces fit together? • Does it explain the roles and responsiblities of internal and external teams and partners? 17 Monday, December 16, 13
8. WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH ALL THAT DATA? • Do you have a Data Strategy? • Do you know what data is valuable and what isn’t? • Is your data really helping you understand success? • Is it helping you understand your customers and prospects? 18 Monday, December 16, 13
9. HOW ARE YOU ENHANCING THE BRAND EXPERIENCE? • Have you examined your brand experience from the customer’s perspective? • Do you know their journey? • Have you identified opportunities to improve and enhance elements of the experience? 19 Monday, December 16, 13
10. HOW ARE YOU MEASURING SUCCESS? • What are you measuring? • Do you know what matters? • How do you use the insight to improve? 20 Monday, December 16, 13
11. WHERE DOES DIGITAL FIT? • Is digital integrated into the “Master Plan”? • Is digital more than online presence and marketing? • Does your brand have digital experiences? • How does your brand plan to be digitally useful to customers? 21 Monday, December 16, 13
12. DOES YOUR BRAND NEED TO BE A REAL-TIME CONVERSATIONALIST? • Does your brand need to talk to people “real-time”? • What does it have to say? • Does it have different things to say and do in the different channels? • What keeps it interesting? • Does it talk about more than itself? • Is the conversation aligned to the brand’s purpose? 22 Monday, December 16, 13
13. HOW DOES CONTENT FIT? • Where does content fit in the Master Plan? • Does the brand produce content beyond advertising? • What is the content designed to do? • Do you have the means to create engaging/shareable content? • Do you have a Content Strategy? 23 Monday, December 16, 13
14. DOES YOUR TEAM HAVE A LEARNING CULTURE? • Do you have a plan to learn from your efforts? • Does that learning help improve future efforts? • Is learning part of your process? 24 Monday, December 16, 13
BSSP IS... A 21 year-old communication agency Offices in Sausalito and NY A roster of clients that includes- Priceline, MINI, US Bank, Roku, El Pollo Loco, Greyhound, ISIS Parent of Influx-strategic consulting unit 25 Monday, December 16, 13
Canvas Prints at Affordable Prices make you smile.Visit http://www.shopcanvasprint...
30 Días en Bici en Gijón organiza un recorrido por los comercios históricos de la ...
Con el fin de conocer mejor el rol que juega internet en el proceso de compra en E...
With three established projects across the country and seven more in the pipeline,...
Retailing is not a rocket science, neither it's walk-in-the-park. In this presenta...
TOP 5 SOCIAL MEDIA QUESTIONS MARKETERS WANT ANSWERED ... 14 BENEFITS OF SOCIAL ... making it the top area marketers will invest in for 2014.
Negative Google Glass sentiment raises questions for marketers. By Michael Barris. August 14, 2014. ... Google Glass sentiment raises questions for marketers"
Ask it Forward. 26 Questions for 26 Content Marketers. ... 14:58 Ramon De Leon ... turn on your own webcam and ask a question of your favorite marketer.
Leadership: 5 Questions All Marketers Need To Ask Themselves Subscribe. Collections ... Therefore, the question great marketers want to answer is: ...
... Research & Data | On: 02/06/14. ... our theory that most marketers agree that brand awareness is important ... your questions for us ...
Hiring a great marketer is more ... 3 Interview Questions to Ask Every ... One of the benefits of this question is that it helps ...
http://blogs.wsj.com/cmo/2014/09/14/online-quizzes-are-data-goldmines-for-marketers/ ... 14, 2014 12 :30 am ET ... to around 20 multiple choice ...