Published on December 14, 2016
1. Good Manager, Bad Manager: How to Train Your Way Out of the Modern Management Deficit December 13, 2016 1
2. Today’s presenter: Alex Khurgin Director, Learning | Grovo firstname.lastname@example.org @Learninkhurgin
3. 3 How do you turn a new manager into a great manager?
4. Management matters The best managers make everything better More Profit Greater Productivity Better Retention Higher Engagement
5. 5 The workforce is changing 10,000 Baby boomers retire every single day 50% Of the workforce will be millennials by 2020 9 / 10 Companies struggling to find and develop leaders How can we prepare the next generation to lead?
6. What percentage of new managers do you think are unprepared when they assume their new role?
7. 7 44% of managers are unprepared Middle managers believe more than 2 out of 5 of their company’s managers were unprepared for management when they assumed their role
8. 8 The good news… 99% of companies do offer management training
9. 9 ...But it doesn’t come soon enough 87% of managers wish they had received more training when they first took the role
10. 10 What is the magic moment?
11. Get ready for the point of need Motivation is highest and training time available is lowest approaching the point of need. Point of Need Time Amount of training needed Motivation to learn
12. Point of Need Time Amount of training needed Sweet Spot Motivation to learn Get ready for the point of need Motivation is highest and training time available is lowest approaching the point of need.
13. 13 How can we make the most of the magic moment?
14. 14 A simple 4-step framework 1. Set expectations 2. Surround the moment 3. Make learning stick 4. Create feedback loops
15. 15 Step #1 Set expectations What are your management standards?
16. 16 Define management standards for your organization
17. 17 Step #2 Surround the moment Create fanfare. Get everyone on board.
18. 18 Promote, promote, promote...
19. 19 …and then promote some more
20. 20 Step #3 Make learning stick Learning is transformation, not information transfer.
26. What elements of the lesson you just saw would help to make learning stick?
27. 27 Step #4 Create feedback loops. Highlight new areas for improvement.
28. 28 Set up informal channels for managers to report back
29. 29 Build evaluation into your training
30. 30 Conduct low-stakes feedback surveys
31. 31 Let’s recap 1. Set expectations 2. Surround the moment 3. Make learning stick 4. Create feedback loops
32. 32 Questions?
33. 33 Let’s make great managers together Download a full copy of “Good Manager, Bad Manager” research guide at www.grovo.com/management-matters
34. Alex Khurgin Director, Learning E: email@example.com O: 929.270.0059 M: 646.665.4781 Thank you! 212- 924-2579 firstname.lastname@example.org www.grovo.com Facebook.com/Grovo @Grovo https://plus.google.com/+Grovo
As Cisco’s Senior Vice President and General Manager for the ... , Webinars & Events. Find Success ... helps you find your word. The webinar was a lot of fun and ...
Then when they snap shots on their phone the same way ... If you get your guests ... A Google employee familiar with the feature spoke to Lifehacker to clarify how ...
Once you’re out of school, ... but this would be the ideal way to have Spicer among your bushes. 21. Reply. ... but I otherwise manifest my own good day.”
The Holden Center is going to take everything you think you know about leadership, ... picked up along the way? ... how your strengths stand out and will make your ...
Remember over the weekend when you heard the deafening squelching sounds of thousands of eyeballs being rolled at once? That was thanks to this vlogger, who was ...
You’ll learn what causes high turnover and why it’s bad for your ... When a hiring manager makes good ... Identify the needs and goals of your boss and ...
When you become a manager for the ... practical management advice to help you do your job ... The editor of Harvard Business Review picks highlights from each ...
Being a Nurse Manager: The Good, the Bad ... The best way for nurses to get ... I wish more of the computer systems we used were similar to what Apple has put out.
Download past episodes or subscribe to future episodes of ADHD Experts Podcast by ... Clean 174- The Good, the Bad, ... sleep hygiene and train your brain to shut ...