Published on February 27, 2014
10 things, I have learnt, about Quality EMC Process Innovation Event 26 February, 2014
1. QUALITY IS IN INDIVIDUAL ACTIONS 3
Implications for Process Innovation • • • Individual actions depend on capability and intent Both capability and intent, shape each other. But only through actions. Therefore act! 4
2. QUALITY IS SHAPED BY ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT 5
2. Quality is shaped by organizational context What is actually achieved - depends on • processes, • measures, • reviews, • rewards and • organizational memory Implications for Process Innovation – Therefore Enable
3. CUSTOMER’S NEEDS ARE THE COMPASS. ALAS! THEY VARY
3. Customer’s needs are the compass. Alas! They vary • – – – Future Products (Brahma's department – Creation) Anticipated future needs (skate to where puck will be) Mitigate risks Assimilate the available • Current Products & Processes (Vishnu’s department – Sustenance) – Value for money – First/ best – Relationship • Outdated Products & Processes (Shiva’s department – Reengineering) – Reduce cycle time/ costs – Incremental innovation – New markets & niches
4. A CHAIN IS ONLY AS STRONG AS ITS WEAKEST LINK
4. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link Individual Gaps • Inability Organization Gaps • Broken process Customer Gaps • Not seeing future • Unclear • Irrelevant or too many measures • Misreading own relevance • Skipped reviews • Staying complacent • Demotivated • Only penalties • Fear Implications for Process Innovation – What needs fixing
5. WHAT GETS MEASURED, MATTERS
5. What gets measured, matters • Early & visible success - always matters • A leading indicator will give you time to fix things • Too much measurement, is a pain. Pain without gain, is a drain. • If same indicator is used for both evaluation and quality, then evaluation trumps quality Implications for Process Innovation – Design Measures
6. LEADING INDICATORS ARE INVALUABLE. USE WITH CAUTION!
6. Leading indicators are invaluable. Use with caution though • Examples of Leading indicators – The buzz in the backroom – Smiling faces when coming out of office – Under promised and over delivered • It is futile to tweak the speedometer needle of a car to make it go faster Implications– Use intangibles to diagnose. Not to deliver.
7. QUALITY IS COMMON SENSE
8. WE DON’T KNOW, WHAT WE DON’T KNOW
Implications – Stay open. Stay humble.
9. TO DO THE SAME THINGS AND EXPECT DIFFERENT RESULTS, IS MADNESS
Implications – Do different things, but not insane ones
10. QUALITY IS EASIER IF YOU CAN FORESEE THE FUTURE
10. Quality is easier if you can foresee the future • • • • No quality is possible without comparison To build to an unprecedented quality, an unprecedented comparison is required Such a comparison can only come from the future The peek into future also allows us to see consequences of our actions – When aggregated over numbers – When compounded over time
Implications – learn crystal ball gazing .. All the best, for your process innovation journe
A Dream of a Just, Equitable, Humane and Sustainable Society Thank You 31
If you want to find out 10 things I lea ... If you want to find out 10 things I learnt from ... 10 things Mick Jagger have learned after ...
10 Things I Learned From ... we often hear about cultivating the nurturing qualities of a ... We didn't have traditional toys or TV growing up in the ...
... their Christmas?’ have a read below to get clued up on ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ as I share 10 surprising things I have learnt about Spring ...
... 2009 at 10:48 am. ... I have learned to live with no regrets because at the time it ... 2011 at 6:02 am. So many things to be learned with ...
Top 10 things I have learned about Samuel 10 terms by dunndunn8. Study Study ...
Things I have learned in my life so far. ... Astonishingly, Stefan Sagmeister has only learned twenty or so things in his life so far.
Yelling always makes things worse. 10. ... High quality is worth any quantity, ... 88 Important Truths I’ve learned About Life « Mandee♥♥ Inspires! ...
... then consider the following list of qualities that you ... 10 Things I Learned In the Military I Use ... military personnel have learned or developed ...
10 things I’ve learned in 10 years of marriage. ... 10. I haven’t learned it all. ... but the “10 Things in 10 years post” is spot on.
20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web. ... Share this book and what you've learned with friends and family; ... THING 10. Synchronizing the Browser.