Published on September 29, 2015
1. 10 Hidden Secrets of Top Performing L&D Teams @LauraOverton Las Vegas, NV | September 30 2015
2. What does a modernised learning strategy look like today? WWW LM S My Personal Journey to
3. Today’s L&D professionals want more.
4. INCREASING PERFORMANCE GAP 87% wanted change 2014 74% wanted change 2010 51% reported benefits 31% reported benefits What is stopping us from achieving our goals?
5. 87% wanted change 2014 31% reported benefits How do we stay ahead of the game?
6. 87% wanted change 2014 31% reported benefits Learn from those who are ahead of us! How do we stay ahead of the game?
7. An evidence- based approach to modernising learning 12 years of research 4,400 L&D leaders 55+ countries 18,000 learners 1.5 million data points every year
8. 10 Hidden Secrets of Top Performing L&D Teams @LauraOverton
9. 1. DATA-DRIVEN DECISIONS
10. Top Performers 3x more likely to use benchmarking as a performance improvement tool 1. DATA-DRIVEN DECISIONS
11. Who is reporting the best L&D outcomes? What are they doing differently? T O W A R D S M A T U R I T Y I N D E X TOP DECK TOP LEARNING ORGANISATIONS THE TOP DECK (10%) Introduced in 2014 THE ART OF BENCHMARKING
12. 2x revenue improvements 50% improvement on attrition 25% increase in staff engagement Improved application of learning in the workplace Faster response to changing business conditions Increased productivity on the job TOP DECK Average TOP DECK BENCHMARKING IS ABOUT PERFORMANCE
13. 1. Our organisation encourages and makes time for reflection 2. We identify key business metrics that we want to improve in partnership with senior managers 3. We blend different technologies in design including social media for collaboration 4. We help staff define their own personal learning strategies 5. We publicise the successes of individuals Review Try this out – where do you stand?
14. Top Performers 3x as likely to make time for reflection (58% vs 20%) 2. MAKE TIME TO REFLECT
15. 82% Identify business KPI’s that they want to improve in partnership with snr management (32% average) 3. FOCUS ON SPECIFIC RESULTS
16. Gaining Market Share 17% rise in customer satisfaction 10% improvement in revenue Talent 9% reduction in attrition 17% improvement in engagement 14% improvement in productivity 12% reduction in time to competency Delivering New Products & Services Change new products & services 23% faster Roll out new IT applications 26% faster & improve efficiency! 17% Cost reduction +21% Volume - 22% Delivery time - 20% Study time What can learning innovation bring to the table?
17. Top Deck L&D teams are 3x as likely to be proactive in understanding what staff need to do their job 4. CONSUMER-DRIVEN
18. LauraOverton TowardsMaturity TOP 10 LEARNER PRIORITIES Rated as essential or highly useful methods for learning what they need for their job: 1. 91% team collaboration 2. 81% manager support 3. 73% web search 4. 83% conversations / meetings 5. 67% support from mentor / coach / buddy 6. 64% formal education course 7. 55% internal company documents 8. 52% internal networks / communities 9. 50% mobile 10. 49% live online learning / 47% self-paced e-learning Statistics taken from the whole sample of 5,700 learners © Towards Maturity 2015, Learner Voice Part 2: www.towardsmaturity.org/learnervoice2 How do staff learn what they need to do their job?
19. The sample shows few significant generational differences, with older and younger both showing similar rankings when rating the usefulness of online, face to face and collaborative practices for learning – however, these findings caught our eye… “The online learning available at my company isn't very easy to locate. I also find that having only been in my role for a year, there isn't much information made available advising on where to start, support available, or who to approach with questions.” (under 30) “The majority of the online training that I have been required to take is ‘one size fits most’ - it’s not appropriate for a member of staff with over 30 years’ experience. Completing is simply a box ticking exercise, and I gain nothing from it.” (over 50) “I’ve worked for this firm for 15 years. In that time, IT and learning has improved significantly; both in design and the ability to find what you are looking for.” (over 50) “I strongly think encouragement from your own management to learn and develop (discuss about objectives) is crucial. Otherwise people won't be able to find relevant learning tools useful and practical.” (under 30) 64% UNDER 30’S ARE LOOKING FOR PROFESSIONAL RECOGNITION FROM LEARNING Few Generational Differences 42%58% Motivated by technology that helps me share 70%84% Willing to share what I know with my peers Willingness to collaborate 29%16% Poor use of technology 29%45% Cant find what I need Barriers to Learning 35% On the way to/from work 62% 50% 37% Evenings & weekends When are they learning? 61% 27% Just for me; I like to learn 64% 22% To obtain certification 26% 42% To increase productivity 15% 3% To compete with colleagues Motivation for learning 21-30 Over 50 © Towards Maturity 2015, Learner Voice Part 2: www.towardsmaturity.org/learnervoice2 1/3 are not willing to use their own mobiles for learning as they want to keep work and personal life separate (regardless of age)
20. 56% of leaders agree they learn travelling to and from work 27% of L&D agree that technology is used to support the way that they develop leaders 96% of new starters agree that team collaboration is essential for them to learn what they need 20% of L&D agree that staff know how to productively connect and share knowledge 49% of staff agree their line managers expect them to apply learning after they have completed a course 18% of L&D agree they equip line managers with resources to help their teams get the most from learning 75% of staff turn to online learning to help them do their job better and faster 47%of L&D agree that their initiatives are delivered in TIME to meet the needs of business LEARNERPERSPECTIVE L&DPERSPECTIVE 600 L&D leaders, Modernising Learning: Delivering Results: www.towardsmaturity.org/2014benchmark © Towards Maturity 2015 5,700 learners, Learner Voice Part 2: www.towardsmaturity.org/learnervoice2 To what extent are we consumer-driven?
21. 2x as likely to encourage staff to define their own personal learning strategies (73% vs 35%av) 5. HELP STAFF LEARN HOW TO LEARN
22. 72% provide ongoing CPD opportunities for L&D staff 6. TRAIN HARD
23. Investing in tomorrow’s skills, today 87% 89% 89% 91% 91% 93% 96% 96% 96% 47% 34% 49% 42% 31% 15% 47% 36% 41% 79% 56% 68% 70% 44% 50% 81% 71% 70% Business planning Delivery via virtual classroom Instructional design Marketing and stakeholder engagement Digital content development Using social media effectively Online or blended learning delivery Supporting learners online Programme evaluation Current skills in house (top Deck) Current skills in house (avg) Considered a priority
24. SUPPORTING L&D TEAMS AROUND THE GLOBE
25. 2x User generated External video Blogs Curation Content in the cloud Badges 4x As likely to Blend use of technologies including social for collaboration (85% vs 21%) 7. THINK DIGITALLY LATERALLY
26. 97% of top performers agree learning initiatives support the skills the business needs (60% on average) “HAVE NOTHING IN THEIR HOMES THAT THEY DO NOT KNOW TO BE USEFUL OR BELIEVE TO BE BEAUTIFUL.” ~ WILLIAM MORRIS
27. “BE BRAVE, CHALLENGE, TAKE RISKS, BUT DON’T GET CARRIED AWAY – DO ONE THING, DO IT WELL, THEN MOVE ON!”
28. 88% consider the course as only one of the options for building performance 8. UNCONSTRAINED CREATIVITY
29. 2x more likely to communicate successes to managers 4x more likely to share individual success stories (58% vs 15%) 9. PUT ON A SHOW
30. 100% of top performers walk the walk vs. talking the talk 10. GET STUCK IN
31. We know what to do, but we don’t always do it 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% 80% 90% 100% 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 The course is not the only option 2010 15 14 15
32. 10 Hidden Secrets of Top Performing L&D Teams: 1. Data-driven decisions 2. Make time to reflect 3. Focus on specific results 4. Consumer driven 5. Help staff learn how to learn 6. Train Hard 7. Think digitally Laterally 8. Unconstrained Creativity 9. Put on a show 10. Get stuck in!
33. What are you going to do differently as a result of today? Next Steps
34. www.towardsmaturity.org/devlearn15 firstname.lastname@example.org Las Vegas, NV | September 30 – October 2, 2015 Unlock 10 Hidden Secrets of Top Performing L&D Teams
35. SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE
36. ABOUT US Towards Maturity is a benchmarking practice that provides authoritative research and expert consultancy services to help assess and improve the effectiveness and consistency of L&D performance within organisations. It leverages the data gathered from the largest learning and development benchmark in Europe. Download our case studies to support your business case for change at: www.towardsmaturity.org Find out your own Towards Maturity Index™ to see if you are amongst the top learning companies at: www.towardsmaturity.org/mybenchmark
10 Hidden Secrets of Top Performing L&D Teams. ... from over 45 nations for 10 ... Secrets of Top Performing L&D Teams - DevLearn 2015 from Towards ...
Home Updates 9 Takeaways from DevLearn 2015. ... I shared 10 Hidden Secrets from Top Performing International L&D Teams with the ... Equipping the L&D team.
DevLearn 2015 Concurrent Sessions. DevLearn 2015 offers you ... 208 Ten Hidden Secrets of Top-performing International L&D Teams. Laura ... 10:45 AM Thu ...
Nine takeaways from DevLearn 2015. ... I shared 10 hidden secrets from Top Performing International Learning Teams with the ... Equipping the L&D team
October 2, 2015 // 10:00 AM. Some Interesting Session Topics of Devlearn 2015 Conference ... Dev Learn 2015 conference, ...
L&D in 2015 : Too Much Content ... Germany, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and United States were in the top 50. Top 10 for 2015. ... The post ...
About Learning Solutions Magazine; Call for Authors; ... It’s the role of today’s L&D team to deliver ... so here is a selection of my top tips for ...
Laura Overton is the ... In 2014 and 2015 she was voted number one in the top 10 most ... Ten Hidden Secrets of Top-performing International L&D Teams .