Published on March 10, 2014
10 essential steps to protect patient data on a mobile device Sameer Sule Healthcare Technology Consultant ©KINARA | INSIGHTS creating value through technology
Major cause of patient data breach Lost or Stolen Laptop with Unencrypted Data 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 2
Best way to prevent data loss… Don’t store any patient data on your mobile device but….. 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 3
Easier said than done! Why? Because….. 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 4
Data could be anywhere… Emails Documents Texts Images Apps Spreadsheets 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 5
Really bad if lost 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 6
Hence the need to protect it!!! 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 7
10 Steps to protect PATIENT DATA on a mobile device 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 8
1. Use a STRONG password 6-8 characters (alphabets + numbers +CAPS+ Symbols) Make it difficult to guess That’s the point!!! 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 9
2. Encrypt the Data This scrambles the data so that only an authorized user who knows the password (key) can gain access 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 10 Patient info #s%s*d##fsa ?
3. Enable device tracking software O Laptop, O Laptop, wherefore art thou Laptop? Locate your mobile device if its lost or stolen Remotely trigger alarm to sound from the device 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 11
4. Install / Activate remote data wiping and device locking capability You can have my device, but you can’t get my data too!!! Ok, done with the clichés! 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 12
5. Do not install or use file sharing applications File sharing software also called peer to peer software allows the data or files on your computer to be accessed by another computer over the internet Prevent easy sharing or viewing of your files without your knowledge 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 13
6. Install security software Security threats are constantly changing. New viruses are created every day Keep your laptop or mobile device up-to- date with the latest security updates 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 14
7. Research mobile applications before downloading Check out reviews of the mobile app before downloading it on your device. Many apps create problems after installation Free apps are free for a reason. They want your data ! 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 15
8. Use adequate security to send or receive confidential information over public Wi-Fi Public Wi-Fi is not secure - leaves your device unprotected against malicious users using the same public Wi-Fi Use a virtual private network (VPN) if you really need to access confidential data Avoid accessing sensitive data over public Wi-Fi 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 16
9. Delete all stored health information before discarding the mobile device Clearly outline the procedure for device disposal Ensure that all data is deleted before upgrading to a new device or recycling it Check, check and check again!!! 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 17
10. Implement mobile device usage policies & train staff in HIPAA compliance Policies need to be clear and well documented. People are the weakest link in the security chain! Implement a sanction policy that clearly spells out the consequences for non-compliance Regular staff training on secure technology usage is the key 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 18
THANK YOU Sameer Sule Healthcare Technology Consultant / Speaker Author: Protecting Electronic Health Information: A Practical Approach to Patient Data Security in Your Healthcare Practice Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/sameersule Blog: http://www.kinarainsights.com/blog.html Connect with me: Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sameer-sule/7/b1b/511 Twitter:@sameersule 3/10/2014 www.kinarainsights.com 19
Windows 10 Updates: ... 4 Essential Ways to Protect My Mobile Apps. ... The proposed framework looks at the device, the data, ...
Identify Patient; Review Current Patient Data; ... Your Organization and Your Mobile Device; Five Steps Organizations ... The Mobile Device Privacy and ...
Securing mobile devices in ... users be smarter about how they use and protect their mobile devices; ... of critical patient data;
Six Essential Steps for Unleashing the Power ... secure access to applications and patient data from ... workers use a mobile device for work purposes, ...
A Stolen Mobile Device; Can You Protect Patients' Health ... Identify Patient; Review Current Patient Data; ... The Mobile Device Privacy and Security ...
... saving patient data onto the device, ... essential to see patient files ... data stored on mobile devices and data in transit to protect ...
Prevent Data Breaches with Strong Medical Device ... strong medical device security is an essential aspect when ... patient data on their mobile device ...
3 critical steps to protecting patient data. ... device or application can ever ... the essential requirement is to ensure that this cryptographic ...