Published on February 23, 2014
10 blocks to expressing feelings effectively When it comes to expressing feelings many people have a difficult time. However, effective communication, including appropriate ways to expressing feelings, fosters intimacy with others and can help build a strong sense of self. When we lack the skills or knowledge to effectively express our feelings we can create "blocks" which can hurt or hinder how we relate to others. These "blocks" can create the opposite effect of intimacy, which can lead to a variety of problems in our relationships.
1.Mind reading. You expect others to know how you feel and what you want without taking responsibility for expressing yourself directly.
2. Fear. Your fear of rejection and disapproval is so great that you abandon yourself and swallow your feelings.
3. Conflict avoidant. You avoid conflict or uncomfortable feelings at all costs.
4. Passive-aggressive. Instead of sharing your feelings openly and honestly, you use covert tactics to communicate your displeasure
5. Hopelessness. You believe the situation will never change so why try? This creates a self-fulfilling prophecy
6. Martyrdom. You don't want to admit your feelings because you don't want to give anyone the satisfaction of knowing they've upset you. You suffer silently with great pride.
7. Low self-esteem. You believe that you don't have a right to express your feelings or to ask others for what you want. At the expense of self, you focus on pleasing others instead
8. Feeling defective. You believe that you shouldn't have irrational feelings like anger, jealousy, anxiety, depression, as that would indicate that you are flawed or "un-together."
9. Volcano. You believe once you start expressing your feelings the hot lava will begin to flow and no one will be able to stop it! All will be destroyed.
10. Miranda Warning. You don't want to express your feelings because you are afraid they will be used against you.
View 883 Expressing Feelings posts, presentations, experts, and more. Get the professional knowledge you need on LinkedIn.
guidelines for expressing difficult feelings, difference between thoughts and feelings, how to express feelings, common mistakes.
Building Blocks to Peer Success 2 COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES: EXPRESSING YOURSELF ABOUT THIS ACTIVITY (CONT.) Materials (cont.): • Handout - Feelings vs ...
Pleasant Feelings. OPEN. HAPPY. ALIVE. GOOD. understanding. great. playful. calm. confident. gay. courageous. peaceful. reliable. joyous. energetic. at ...
How to Express Your Feelings. You might be afraid of making others upset or inconveniencing them if you share your feelings. However, hiding your own ...
Expressing feelings enables us to think through and move on from troubling negative emotions. ... So back to the question of how to express feelings.
How to Express Your Feelings to the One You Love. When you're in a relationship with someone who has truly captured your heart, you might be bursting at ...
All Kinds of feelings: A ... How do you feel when someone says that he or she likes the block tower you ... How is posture used in expressing feelings?
Not everyone finds expressing their feelings easy or having it come naturally. ... 10. Need to Solve ... . 10 Reasons You Can’t Say How You Feel. Psych ...